BASSET (Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training) is the State of Illinois’ responsible beverage seller-server program. BASSET responsible alcohol seller-server training ensures that sellers and servers of alcohol understand the Illinois liquor laws and serve alcoholic beverages responsibly. BASSET seller-server training program can also significantly reduce the risk and liability associated with alcohol service.
Who should be BASSET Certified?
- Most alcohol sellers and servers in Illinois are required to be BASSET certified.
- Employees in establishments that sell and serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, and banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers, managers, security personnel and bouncers.
- Employees in establishments that sell alcohol in liquor stores, grocery stores, convenient stores and gas stations: sales associates, clerks, supervisors and managers.
Why should you take a BASSET course?
- By July 1, 2018, ALL Illinois on-premise alcohol servers (and those required to check identification for alcohol service) will be mandated to take a BASSET training course and re-certification every 3 years. Source: Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) – BASSET Education
- Click video links to understand the value and importance of BASSET seller-seller training:
BASSET video in English | BASSET video in Spanish
Illinois Alcohol Seller-Servers
Idaho alcohol seller-server safety training helps to ensure that sellers and servers of alcohol understand state and local liquor laws and regulations and serve alcohol drinks responsibly. An alcohol seller-server training course may also considerably lessen the risk and liability connected with alcohol service.
The goals and objectives of the BASSET Program are:
- Train and educate sellers and servers to engage in responsible alcohol service;
- Spot signs of intoxication and utilize various intervention techniques;
- Prevent DUIs and alcohol-related fatalities;
- Stop underage sales and underage drinking;
- Create safer communities and establishments where alcohol is served;
- Educate owners, managers and staff on dram shop insurance, state laws, and local ordinances regarding alcohol service.
BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server Training Info
The BASSET alcohol seller-server training course is about 4 hours in length and provides the student with the necessary knowledge about Illinois state laws regarding alcohol service and proven techniques needed to be a responsible seller of alcohol and for providing a safe environment for customers. Specifically, you will learn:
- how to protect yourself and your establishment from liability;
- how alcohol affects your customers;
- how to recognize the effects of alcohol on your customers;
- how to prevent customers from becoming intoxicated;
- how to intervene when you need to refuse a sale to someone;
- how to prevent and deal with disturbances;
- how to accurately check IDs and recognize minors;
- how to prevent second-party sales; and
- how to refuse a sale.
Audience: Illinois employees in establishments that sell and serve alcohol in bars, restaurants, hotels, taverns, night clubs, concessions, and banquet halls: bartenders, bar backs, servers, managers, security personnel and bouncers.
Credit Hours: 4 hrs
- Lesson 1: Introduction
- Lesson 2: How Alcohol Affects the Body
- Lesson 3: Recognizing Intoxicated Customers
- Lesson 4: Preventing Disturbances
- Lesson 5: Minors and Liability
- Lesson 6: How to Refuse a Sale
- Lesson 7: State of Illinois Alcohol-Related Laws
End of Course Test & Certificate
At the conclusion of the course, the learner will be tested on their knowledge of the learning objectives and content. Upon successfully passing the exam with a minimum of 70%, the learner will be able to download a course certificate.
A roster of students who have passed the exam is sent to the Liquor Control Commission (ILCC). The Commission (ILCC) then issues BASSET cards to participants who successfully complete the course.
BASSET cards a valid for 3 years from date of issuance.
Key Alcohol Seller-Server Terms: alcohol seller-server training, responsible vendor program, rvp, rbs training, alcohol safety course, alcohol seller-server certification, basset, rbs, asap, atap, tabc, on-premise, off-premise, dram shop, serve safety, safe harbor, wine service, bartender course, wine service training.
- Title 77: Public Health – Chapter XVI: Liquor Control Commission – Part 3500 – Beverage Alcohol Sellers And Servers Education and Training (BASSET) Programs
- The July 2015 signing of Public Act 99-0046 (PDF) required alcohol servers (and those checking ID’s for alcohol service) in Illinois on-premise establishments to successfully complete a Beverage Alcohol Sellers/Servers Education & Training (BASSET) class every 3 years.
- The mandate took effect by a pre-determined date based upon county population (NOTE: Many local jurisdictions already require BASSET; please visit the Local Survey page for ordinances in your community).
- Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) – BASSET FAQs
- Order the FREE “We Card Hard” pack of educational materials for your establishment
- BASSET Card Lookup
The Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC) is responsible for the control over the importation, distribution, sale, and consumption of alcoholic beverages, which applies to all retailers, suppliers, and wholesalers who are licensed to manufacture, sell, serve, transport, or store liquor in the State of Illinois.
Beverage Alcohol Sellers and Servers Education and Training (BASSET) is the State of Illinois’ responsible beverage seller/server program. Under the licensing and regulatory auspices of the Illinois Liquor Control Commission, BASSET is designed to encourage profitable, responsible, and legal alcohol sales and service. Source: Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC)
State of Illinois Liquor Control Commission (ILCC)
100 W. Randolph Ste. 5-300
Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: (312) 814-2206
101 West Jefferson Suite 3-525
Springfield, Illinois 62702
- Course Duration: 4 hrs
- 100% online – no classroom attendance!
- Take course anywhere and anytime!
- Download certificate upon completion
- 24×7 Support: (877) 881-2235 – Online
Illinois BASSET Alcohol Seller-Server Training Certification
Package: Illinois BASSET Certification &
Food Handler ANSI Training
Save Big with Group Rates
Get huge discounts by enrolling and training all your employees. Enjoy tailored corporate solutions and training services – a free cloud-based LMS and even consulting services. Track progress, generate reports, and manage learners online. More Info
We offer online Alcohol Safety Training in Illinois for: Chicago, Aurora, Rockford, Joliet, Naperville, Springfield, Peoria, Elgin, Waukegan, Cicero, Champaign, Bloomington, Arlington Heights, Evanston, Decatur, Schaumburg, Champaign County, DuPage County, Kane County, Lake County, Madison County, McHenry County, Clair County, Winnebago County, and many more!
Getting your Illinois Alcohol Seller-Server Training couldn’t be easier!